Apprenticeship reforms and levy
In 2017 the Government introduced an 'apprenticeship levy.'
The levy helps promote apprenticeships as an effective way for young people and adults to enter the workforce equipped with the necessary skills and relevant work experience.
The cost of apprenticeships is now split into 15 funding bands ranging from £1,500 to £27,000. The price depends on the type of apprenticeship and the level it is taught at, and are negotiable with your training provider.
For 98% of employers, the apprenticeship levy means that employing an apprentice is better value for money than ever before. Small businesses only have to pay 5% of the training costs, with the Government picking up the remaining 95%. In some cases, the Government will fully fund apprenticeships for small businesses.
If your company is in the 2% of employers which has an annual payroll of over £3 million a year, you’ll have to pay 0.5% of that amount into the levy. This amount is topped up by 10% and given back to your company through the new digital apprenticeship service. You can then use these funds on apprentice training.
Whether you have to pay the levy or not, Weston College can work with your business to ensure that you are maximising the potential benefits of the reforms and work with you to create bespoke and personalised training solutions.